Later this year I will speaking at the Discourses and Cultural Practices Conference (in the discourses and pop culture strand) and here is the CFP. Look at the list of invited speakers:
- Professor Claire Kramsch, University of California, Berkeley
- Professor Ruth Wodak, Lancaster University
- Professor Frances Christie, University of Sydney and University of Melbourne
- Professor Theo van Leeuwen, University of Technology, Sydney
- Professor Alastair Pennycook, University of Technology, Sydney
What a fantastic line-up! I am tossing up whether to speak about Second Life (been done to death?) or lolcats (much more fun). I guess Second Life is what everybody wants to hear about but culturally and linguistically and as a new cyber-social-pop-culture phenomenon… who else thinks lolcats would be a fascinating study?